about PLAG Art Scholarships
For more than 40 years, The Palmer Lake Art Group has been offering art scholarships to graduating seniors of Lewis-Palmer School District 38 schools. The scholarship fund is kept active by art exhibits, sales, and the Annual Art and Fine Crafts Show and Sale the first weekend of October in Palmer Lake. Many artist members are art instructors as well, and committed to art education and instruction.
The scholarships awarded are to be used at an institution of higher learning; and will be paid directly to the school upon proof of enrollment in an art-related field.
- A resident of D38, and a graduating senior of Lewis-Palmer District 38.
- Qualified to enter an institution of higher learning.
- Must have a desire to continue work in the field of fine art or commercial art.
- Applicant need not be a student in the high school art department.
Application: 1) Photo of Artist; 2) Complete application [2nd page]
Presentation of art work for jury:
- Examples of art work from any art classes taken anywhere while high school age; and independent work you’ve done. Include your best work.
- Sketchbook, currently used.
- A Colorado poster. The poster should depict the state of Colorado from the artist’s perspective, i.e. an activity, a place, or something that represents Colorado to you.
Art work will be judged on imagination, skill, originality and growth/ progression. The contents of the sketchbook may come from the student’s imagination or life experience, and reflects the development of the artist—areas of exploration, focus, refinement, study, and processes–over time.
The jury will select up to 3 pieces of each award recipient’s art work to be on exhibit at the Palmer Lake Art Group‘s June Show, where the Opening Reception will honor the year’s Scholarship Award Recipients. Family and friends are invited and encouraged to attend as well. Come and meet the PLAG artists committed to making the student scholarships possible for young artists year after year. The student’s work will remain on exhibit in the annual Color Splash Art Show at the Tri Lakes Center for the Arts for the month of June.
The Award Jury is composed of up to four (4) judges from the Palmer Lake Art Group. The jury may divide the award however they wish, among two or more entrants; or make no award at all. This scholarship is to be used within the next 12 months. Payment is made directly to the college, upon proof of enrollment in an art-related field.